To earn my sewing badge when I was a Girl Scout, my task was to sew my badges onto my green sash. It should have been easy enough, because I already knew how to hand sew. And my motivation was high, I earned those badges after all...I had 12 to line up, 3 in each row.
As creative as I thought I was, I decided to use CONTRASTING thread, not coordinating, and didn't pin my patches, or baste them down. I stabbed my needle into the patch and then into the sash and continued this running stitch pattern, as the patches flailed about, twisted and turned.
In the end my patches were in staggered rows, with pink thread against a blue patch, or yellow against green. My GS leaders were encouraging and proud, and they still gave me my sewing patch.
And hence this fear of patches and badges, especially on uniforms.
G came home after his first day in the first grade, begging to be a scout. Of course! I said, what a way to make a mama proud...her son wants to be a good citizen. My heart welled up, and after meeting with the Cub Scout leader, we ran to pick up uniforms.
To my dismay their patches were NOT iron on.
I waited till the absolute last minute to sew his patches on. There were only 4 to do, but with less than 60 minutes before his first Pack meeting, I got to work. This time armed with a sturdy needle, a workhorse sewing machine, and Steam-A-Seam.
I dared the patches to move while I sewed them on, spoke to them about how this time, they can't move because I am now a Mama and should be able to sew patches on straight.
They didn't move. And they are now pretty with coordinating matching thread, and exactly where they should be on the shirt.